Whether it’s about finding new (Buddhist) books, audiofiles of Dhamma-talks, translations of sutta’s, or discussions and questions on a forum, we highly recommend the following websites.
For ordering Buddhist Books:
- Buddhist Publishing Society (BPS) – The BPS is a Sri Lanka based publishing house founded by Nyanaponika Mahathera. After his resignation Bhikkhu Bodhi was at the helm for a long time. The BPS publishes works by, for example, Nyanaponika Thera, Nyanatiloka Thera, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Piyadassi Thera, Bhikkhu Ñanamoli, Narada Mahathera, Mahasi Sayadaw and Ledi Sayadaw. The costs are often low and it is very worthwhile to browse through the available texts.
- Pali Text Society – The Pali Text Society was founded in 1881 by the translator T.W. Rhys Davids to promote the knowledge of Pali. It is now a leading association with several professors on the board from all over the world. Through the Pali Text Society the entire English translation of the Tipitaka can be obtained.
Tipitaka Translations, Explanations and Dhamma Talks:
- Suttacentral – A fantastic website with lots of translations of sutta’s (among others from Bhikkhu Bodhi) with an intuitive menu. One of the best Buddhist sites on the web.
- Access to Insight – There is a huge amount of online English translations of sutta’s and other Buddhist texts on this site. Absolutely worth an afternoon of scrolling through.
- Bodhimonastery Audio – Here you can find several audio files from Bhikkhu Bodhi, including a whole study guide for the Majjhima Nikaya.
- Ajahnchah.org – The written down teachings of Ajahn Chah, nothing more needs to be said.
- Amaravati Audio – Here you can find English Dhamma talks by Ajahn Sumedho, an inspirational and highly regarded disciple of Ajahn Chah.
- Abhidhamma.com – Several English texts about the Abhidhamma, with nice diagrams and tables.
- Buddhanet – Texts, books, audio file and especially links to all kinds of other Buddhist sites and institutions.
- Budsas – Here you will find a lot of English essays on Theravāda Buddhism, definitely worth a visit.
- Dhammawheel – Dhammawheel is an English discussion platform on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism. Feel free to ask a question if you can’t find the answer here (of course you could always contact us).
Do you want to start meditating or deepen your practice? Free Meditation Course
We offer personal guidance, completely on a donation basis.